Monday, August 8, 2011

Here comes the rain ...

I woke up this morning at 5 AM to the sounds of heavy rain, strong winds and thunder; almost sounded like Kansas in April. Wondered if I'd need to take my umbrella to work today, but just a light sprinkle as I set out, so decided to leave it at home. As I walked in, I was struck by two things ...

#1. How much more I pay attention when I'm not in a familiar environment. Even this will change as I get used to my daily route from She Kou to the office, but for right now I notice buildings, colors, smells, sounds as a constant frame of reference. I know, for example, that in the morning when I smell garlic, I am about two blocks from the subway station. Happens every day in the same place. I also know that the highest number of people I've seen packed into an elevator (that I was also in) is sixteen. Fortunately, none of them weighed nearly as much as me or we would have been exploring floor -3 instead of going up.

#2. How much rain improves the smell of the city. We had gone a little more than a week without a good shower and the smells of thirteen million people were starting to get a little pronounced. But today I could smell flowers, trees, cologne/perfume, and even baked goods. (Which smell a lot better when not mixed with the smell of fermenting trashpiles.) Even the streets looked better with all of the dust cleared off. I think Shenzhen employs a huge number of people to go around with brooms to sweep up debris as I see them everywhere. They pick up leaves, spare bits of trash and wear uniforms. Even with all of these people, an hour of rain does quite a bit more effective work than this (probably) several hundred thousand people workforce.
Nature is powerful.

Off to one of our factories tomorrow and then heading to Beijing for the four-day weekend!


1 comment:

  1. Two great observations. The first one, reminded me how important it is to slow down and view our familiar environments as if we are viewing them for first time again. How many little things to we miss every day?

    ReplyDelete